Saturday, April 17, 2010

Food Wars

Usually, I love to eat. I love home made meals, comfort food, fruit, most veggies and candy.

When I'm pregnant, my love affair with food falls completely flat. Both pregnancies I have lost weight. Both pregnancies I end lighter than I began. Both pregnancies eating is literally a chore.

With Reid I wasn't nauseous. I started out okay but by about 12 weeks or so got really bad acid reflux which would cause me to vomit. Then at about 30 weeks I developed gestational diabetes that technically was controlled by diet however I pretty much had to eat carrots and celery sticks only to keep my sugars in the normal range.

One of the first signs of the twins (other than my pants not zipping up at 6 weeks) was that I was really nauseous. I never got sick, but mornings were brutal and I would force myself to eat something because eating actually helped. At about 10 weeks I started with the acid reflux/heartburn and popped enough Tums to last a life time.

As time continued, eating became more and more a chore. With every monthly appointment my weight would go down (the record being 7 lbs in 4 weeks). Not a problem though because the babies are growing and everything else looks good. Then I reached the 26 week point where they highly recommend eating 3500 calories per day. Not pregnant, I could attempt that. Pregnant, not a chance!

Here's my typical day at attempting 3500 calories.

6:30am Wake up (I have a 2 year old). Sit up in bed and feel the waves of nausea. Start coughing (an indication that I will soon throw up). Run (waddle) into the kitchen and quickly grab a banana to eat so that I won't throw up. Share half my banana with above mentioned toddler. Grab another one and eat that half quickly to stifle down nauseous feeling.

7:30am Put on Barney. Head to kitchen to have a bowl of cereal or a bagel or some toast. Still feel the lump in my stomach but know I need to eat. Also feed hungry toddler who has watched 4 minutes of Barney and now wants to eat with me.

8:00am Del and Reid leave for the morning. I head for the shower and then prepare to get done the things I want to get done before I pick Reid up.

10:00am Usually I am heading out to do errands but before I go I make a sandwich or have some of last nights left-overs. Probably the only time of the day I really feel like eating.

12:30pm Return home with Reid. He's eaten at the sitters so I put him down for a nap. Make another sandwich or some kind of left-over lunch.

3:00pm Wake up from nap. Dealing with acid reflux but know I should eat again. Take medication for acid reflux and then have some fruit, crackers, cheese, yogurt or whatever. Reid always has an apple when he wakes up.

4:30pm Start making supper. Try to nibble on this and that while making supper. Heart burn is usually about to peak at this time of day.

5:30pm Family supper. Push around food on plate and work very hard at finishing! Have terrible acid reflux, full feeling and really would rather do anything but eat. Would love to have about 4 Popsicles at this time of day.

9:oopm Del always suggests I have a "night lunch". Some days I try, some days I don't. Still feel REALLY full. Go to bed.

So there you have it. My food wars continue. Right after I had Reid, I've never been so hungry in my life. I would eat every time I nursed him. Thankfully I didn't start gaining back weight until after I stopped nursing him at 10 months. We'll see what happens with these babies!

No comments: