I was done work. Now I could put my feet up, watch TV, set up the crib, wash clothes and blankets and have everything ready for the baby's arrival at the end of March.
To preface the story a bit, the Wed. before I was done work I was at school and needed to use the washroom. I left my students and discovered some discharge when I used the washroom. After that, I thought I could feel some cramping. So while my students were silent reading I quietly phoned my sister (who is a Doula) and told her what was happening. I was only 35 weeks so I really didn't want this to be anything. I went home after school that day and took it easy and the cramping went away. I didn't think much of it.
I was done work that Friday. Del had to work that weekend. Saturday I was really tired so I laid around and did a few things at home. Sunday I got up and went to my nephew's hockey game. After lunch I went to the school and spent the whole afternoon packing up my things and preparing the classroom for my replacement. I was really feeling more miserable as the day went on. Just really tired and exhausted. We meet every Sunday night at my parents for supper. When I got home from the school, I phoned everyone and told them I was going to first have a nap and then I'd come over. Which is what I did.
Monday morning, Del had the day off (because of working the weekend). We got up and started putting away laundry and putzing around. I had had a great sleep. We watched some TV and lazed around.
Around 10am I started feeling some cramping. I didn't think much of it at first. I was a bit concerned that I may have a bladder infection so I had tried to get into my Doctor that morning but was unsuccessful. The cramping continued until at 11am Del suggested that we start timing them as they seemed to be coming regularly. I phoned my sister and told her what was happening and she suggested that I try having a bath. If it was labour pains the bath wouldn't stop them, if it wasn't the bath would stop them. We continued to time them and saw they were exactly 5 minutes apart. They lasted for about 20-30 seconds. I had a very strong cramp as I was getting out of the tub. It took my breath away and lasted about 30 seconds. After it was over though, I felt totally fine.
When I got out of the tub I phoned my sister and told her what was happening. I had a cramp as I was talking with her and had to stay quiet for a second. She told me to meet her at the hospital because she was sure I was in labour. I told her not to bother, that I was sure it was just a bladder infection. We'd go in and get it checked and we'd call her once we got checked. She just said, "pack your bags, take your pillow and I'll meet you there." Bossy, I know ;)
We left for the hospital around 1:20pm. We drove past the school where my students were all outside having recess. I chuckled that I was already roaring to the hospital for what I thought was false labour, and it was only my first day of mat. leave. I continued to have regular contractions, 5 minutes apart and though they didn't last long they were sure getting strong. The best part though was I had great breaks in between where I felt perfect so it was a good rest time.
When we arrived they ushered me into a room (I didn't have to go into the observation/screening room which I thought was kind of odd). I told the nurse I was here because I was having cramps every 5 minutes but that I was sure it was just a bladder infection. I also told her I was 36 weeks and that it was my first day of maternity leave. I apologized for bothering them. She laughed (prob. at me) and told me to change and do a urine sample. It was now around 2pm.
When she came to check me after I had changed she started asking what felt like 1000 questions. I was having pretty intense contractions at this point and really didn't feel like chatting. I just kept asking for my sister (who was very impatiently waiting in the waiting room). The nurse told me she'd have to wait until the questions were over and I was checked out by the doctor. I was mad but in too much pain to fight it. Finally around 2:30pm I was checked, told I was 5cm dilated and my sister was ushered in. It was such a relief to have her there. Del told her I was 5cm and I started bawling. She assured us that that was good news and that we were going to have a baby today. I starting crying even harder. So much for the bladder infection!
I was only asked one time if I wanted anything for pain. I said no because the pain was bearable. Things started to get more intense and the breaks started to be less and less when I asked to get into the tub. The tub was WONDERFUL. All of the cramps and intense feelings just drifted away and I closed my eyes and just soaked it in. It lasted about a minute. I then started having wicked contractions that were non-stop. I just kept my eyes closed (I think I also kept saying that I had to poop, ha, ha) and found rhythm in banging my feet at the end of the tub.
My sister (who's also a massage therapist) was rubbing my hips and lower back as it felt on fire. She left for a minute to go to the bathroom and when she came back I announced, "I have to push". And then I pushed.
My sister hurried to get me out of the tub and Del kept his hands firmly pressing my hips. I traipsed buck naked across the L&D nurses station to get back to my room as I was too hot to have even a towel on. My sister told the nurse that I had changed as I was wanting to push. The nurse told us that she was sure I wasn't ready as this was my first baby and things couldn't go that fast. As she was saying this I pushed. That motivated her to check my and I was fully dilated. I started crying as I couldn't believe it was happening so quickly and I had not taken any pain medication. I was also crying because I knew it was too late to take any pain medication and I was feeling pretty afraid of what was to come!
Buck naked for the world (well, whoever was in L&D that day) to see I pushed harder than I could have imagined I would ever need to push. Other than the "burning ring of fire" at the end, it really didn't hurt at all.
At 5:19pm our beautiful baby boy came screaming (and peeing) into this world. He was 10/10 perfect (Apgar score) and we were so proud.
What a beautiful, powerful ending to such a long 8 months. I may have been terrible at getting pregnant and there wasn't one thing glamorous about my pregnancy but the birth: I aced it. Grace in small things. Praise be to God!




1 comment:
SO AWESOME!!!!!!! You did amazing!!!
Post a Comment