Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Monkey Buisness

Del, his mom, Reid and I went on a little vacation the last few days. Mostly we went to see Target spend time together.

The trip went well (minus some yucky roads and arriving to a lot of snow). We purchased a few (hundred) items.

I was wandering around my favorite store and found a sock monkey. My sister and I both had these growing up. We both named ours "Barney". That was before the purple dinosaur arrived with the above mentioned name. Barney was a fine friend who went everywhere with us. I thought this one was so cute and was tempted to purchase it for Reid. I was torn because I didn't want to buy him something so soon before Christmas in case someone else bought him one. And it was $15.00. So I decided I'd just let Reid look at it while I looked through the store and then I'd put it back before we left.


Reid happily looked at the monkey. Held his hand. Chewed on his foot a bit. Grabbed for the red hair. All while I browsed at Christmas decorations, household goods, etc. When it was time to go, I gently took the monkey from Reid to put him back. Oops! Reid let out the saddest, loudest, attention-grabbing howl you've ever heard. I initially thought, "Reid's just hungry. I'll have to hurry". Then I heard this little old lady say, "oh, how cute. He sure loves that monkey." I thought no he doesn't. He never has acted this way towards a toy. He's too little to know the difference. I grabbed the monkey back off the shelf and gave it to him to test my theory. Reid grabbed the monkey as passionately as he would have had he been reunited with a long lost friend. He practically purred while holding it!



I looked around and this man was watching and said, "I think you've just bought a monkey". This other lady said, "yah, you'd better not take it away again". I could also hear the "awwhs" and "how cute" from about 12 other people. SO basically I was peer pressured into buying the monkey. When I went to put it on the conveyor belt to pay for it, Reid let out another blood-curdling howl that only ceased once the beloved monkey was back in his chubby arms. Every time he glances at the monkey his eyes light up and he cracks open a huge smile. He loves to pull the red hair and put the long limbs and tail in his mouth.


Apparently I have a boy who loves retro toys.

1 comment:

Jen Wilson said...

I'm starting to learn that it's "the thing to do" to go down to Minot. I may have to go down there some time!