Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Here's the Skinny



I've mentioned before, pregnancy is very hard on me. Not morning sickness hard, tired hard or uncomfortable hard (though I was all those things). Pregnancy and I don't get along. At all.

My immune system goes to the birds. My sinus' are chronically infected. I get lung infections. Colds. I have acid reflux problems. I throw up (due to acid reflux). I can't eat. I can't breathe. I moan and groan through the entire 9 months (well usually less than 8 months for me).

I try very hard not to complain (publicly...I save the whining for my Hubby). We've driven the road to infertility and back so I know better than to bemoan my incredible gifts. However, by the end of pregnancy I am just about finished (mentally and physically). It takes a long time (and many medications) to bounce back to my pre-pregnancy self. I am currently four months into that journey.

The upside of all this physical hardship is that I effortlessly lose the pregnancy weight (which I didn't even gain with the twins) and more. The twins pregnancy weight loss has been the most dramatic. I'm about 55 pounds lighter than I was this time last year (pre-pregnancy). Though I love the fact that I don't have to work at shedding baby weight, it's keeping it off that will be the biggest challenge (this girl loves to eat).

People are quite shocked when they see me. They congratulate me on losing the baby weight. Little do they know that the pregnancy/nursing combo should receive all the credit. So today I post the post-pregnancy self. Hoping that now this time I can keep it off (congratulate me then). Perhaps publicly acknowledging this will motivate me to stop the nibbling and start moving.

If not, at least I'll have the "good times" to look back on ;)

2 comments:

Jill said...

Well, Skinny-Minnie, maybe we'll have to haul our zoo to the Lawson track when I start my mat leave to keep the skinny in a non-nursing way and just some good, old fashioned walking.

Crystal said...

I thought your face was looking a lot slimmer. Congrats and best of luck on maintaining your new figure! A friend once told me - it's easy to be skinny, all you need are cigarettes and diet coke! I'm sure you don't want to go that route, so I wish you success at getting and staying strong!

Here are all my best fitness tips:
1. Find something you love doing and do it - consistently.

2. Eat well - meat, fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds.

3. Don't eat out of a box - if it needs a label to convince you it's food, it's not food.

Anytime you need workout ideas or a workout partner, I'm your girl!