We have a fairly long last name so I wasn't about to curse him with a 9 letter first name. Also, I'm a teacher and am appreciative of short-to-the-point names. There's nothing more annoying than waiting for a VERY slow 5 year old to spell C-h-r-i-s-t-i-l-e-e-a-n-n-a. Also, I've filled out my fair share of labels, forms, stickers, papers, etc. to come to appreciate short, one-syllable names.
Also, I find common names, spelled UNCOMMON very irritating. And in my experience, so do the kids that own them. How many times does Jordan have to explain to peers, teachers, parents and the general public that his/her name is spelled G-e-o-r-d-y-n. Please! Just so you know...you're not really being unique...just irritating.
And then there's the 10+ years I've been teaching. Last year I had 4 Josh's in my class. Kaden's? A dime a dozen. Emily? Which one of the 6 are you talking about? Though these are all lovely names, unfortunately everyone else thinks so too. These kids have to go around putting their last initial on every piece of paper. What's cute is that when they first start writing they think the first initial of their last name actually belongs in their name so they will write Josh R. - Joshr.
Last but not least there's the
I also had the stipulation that we couldn't name our child a name of a student I've taught. 30 kids times 10 years is a lot of names.
Needless to say we went to the hospital with one boy name and one girl name. We've used our boy name so when/if we have baby no. 2...it better be a girl or we may have to name him "Mister".
People chuckled when the teacher named her son Reid. It was actually a name I liked, fit my long list of criteria and the name of a pro. baseball player - so that sealed the deal for Del. As it turns out, Reid is taking after his name as reading is his favorite past time. And this teacher couldn't be more pleased.

(here he his with my Aunt Kathy)
*Please do not be offended at the above post. I will not judge your name choices. Just having some fun.




3 comments:
As a fellow educator, I applaud your post. I'm always guaranteed to teach a Ryan or a Brian and there's always some variation of Kayla. Lately, I'm seeing a crop of Brooks and Broolynns (spellings of course vary). I vetoed a lot of boys names before we finally settled on Simon.
Totally agree! With Liliana, it IS the PROPER way to spell her name, yet I had people saying, "Well LILLIAN has TWO L's!" HER NAME IS NOT LILLIAN! GAH!
I don't know that there IS a proper way to spell Kaylie. Poor kid will be spelling it her whole life. Oh well!
Heay, I am just honored to be the mentioned cuz who played "steal" the name game... unaware/unintential of course!! I just laugh that Reid was a name we had on our list and Cohen on yours......great minds think alike
XOXO
Post a Comment