Monday, May 2, 2011

Changes


First the good news. Congratulations to our babysitter and her family as they are expecting Baby number 2 this fall.

Now the bad news.  We need to find a new babysitter.  GULP.

This is a big task.  Not only for the obvious difficulty in finding care for three kids three and under.  Or for the fact that finding part-time instead of full time care is difficult.  Or for the decisions that this brings: who, where, how, for how long?  But it is mostly difficult for the mere fact that whoever is the new keeper of our brood has HUGE SHOES TO FILL.

Ashley answered an add I put on the internet.  I walked over to her apartment where she lived with her boyfriend and her 3 month old daughter.  Reid was 9 months old.  We chatted and instantly I knew that there was no question what so ever that I felt comfortable leaving our son with her.  I knew there were some of the usual reasons she was going to start babysitting but mostly I knew that she genuinely just loves kids.  Even though she has her teaching degree and could make about 10 times the money teaching (never mind summers off) she chooses to be at home, loving other peoples kids.  Embarrassingly, I called her references (and even some people not on her list that I knew would know her...oh, yes I did) and each person said the same thing: "you're lucky".

Yes.  We've been extremely 'lucky'.  Reid loves her, she loves him.  The thing that saddens me the most about this whole situation is that they won't get to see each other on a regular basis.  And I'm heartbroken (no, I'm not being dramatic) that our girls won't have the privilege of "going to Ash-ee's house".

So.  Good luck all you new candidates.  I'm meeting several of you this week.  Just know that no matter how fancy you talk, or how homey your home is how much you promise outings, crafts and activities.  You're not Ash-ee.

Now, could someone point me in the direction of 'babysitter break-up' counseling?

2 comments:

Ash said...

Oh Laurie, now I need some sort of therapy as I sit here all full of tears. I have been so lucky to have had met your family, not only are you an amazing client but a great friend too! Until this blog post, I have been trying not to think of what it is going to be like without the group, and Reid who I have had here to love and watch grow for over 2 years! I wish you luck on your hunt and know you will find someone very special who will be equally lucky to meet you and to have your beautiful children in their home!

sueyangel@yahoo.ca said...

Now I'm crying too!!! Hope you are happy Laurie!! Haha! I LOVE my Reid!! He always yells "Grandma" when I come there to play. Oh dear!!! I must get to bed so I can cry myself to sleep!! Beautiful to know what a lovely girl I raised!!! Thanks Laurie for sharing. ♥