Monday, October 4, 2010

Life Saver

So we had a bit of an eventful past few days.

Wednesday, Reid started coughing.  He had just finished antibiotic for an ear infection so I was pretty frustrated that he was coughing again.  So Friday I decided to take him to the doctor.  Avery also had a runny nose and a runny eye so I thought I'd get her checked out, too. I wasn't too worried about Avery as she was her cheery self with no fever or any complaining.

I was mostly worried about Reid because he'd been up all night for a couple of nights coughing.  Turns out he's asthmatic.  Probably brought on by environmental allergies (we were at the farm on Monday).  Two different inhalers and the coughing almost immediately stopped!

My Mom and Dad are away.  This means my co-pilot in this "raising 3 kids under 2" gig is highly interrupted when the co-pilot leaves town.  It is almost impossible to go out with the kids on my own so I rely on my Mom a lot to stay with two or all of the kids while I run errands.  Two car seats don't even fit in most carts, never mind trying to fit other things in the cart, the girls (esp. Morgan) hate their car seats so only last about 30 minutes in them and the hauling and lugging and putting them into the van is a killer on my already messed up back.

So, to get all three to the doctor on Friday I got Del (who was working the afternoon/evening shift) to take a couple of hours of family time to come and help.  He had to be back at work by 6pm.  No flexibility.  I had previously called many friends and a couple of family members to see if they could come and help on Friday night.  The girls and Reid were all fussy from being sick which always came to a peak in the evening so I was really dreading being by myself.  I struck out on getting anyone to help so in final desperation I phoned my Aunt.  IN ANOTHER CITY 2.5 hours away!  You know what she said, "Sure.  I'm on my way". My family is really awesome like that.

We anticipated her showing up late afternoon but weren't sure exactly when.  We thought we'd be back from the Doctor for sure by 5:30.  However, the Doctor took one look and listen to Avery and sent us immediately over to the hospital to be seen by a pediatrician.  We were to wait in Emergency and then the pediatrician would meet us there.  Ummm...Del had to be back at work.  We have three kids under 2.  It was supper time.  Our only hope of help was somewhere on the highway.  So I dropped Del, Reid and Morgan off at home in the hopes my Aunt would soon be there.

Avery and I waited about 45 minutes in the yucky Emergency Room and were seen by the pediatrician.  Turns out she had an eye infection, sinus infection and "viral" bronchitis.  One tough cookie!

My Aunt arrived in time for Del to get back to work.  Reid and Morgan did fine with her and thankfully she stayed the night and most of the next day to help out.  So THANK YOU Auntie Kathy! You truly were a life saver!

Del and I spent the rest of the weekend nursing sick kids, watching a great movie (Date Night) and enjoying the fact that all three slept all night on Saturday night!

My Mom and Dad return today.  Not a moment too soon as I have four appointments tomorrow!

4 comments:

Jen Wilson said...

Oh my goodness. I wish I was there to help you!

Here's to a sick-free house for a (long) while!

(And sleep!)

Anonymous said...

Next time you pack up Reid and bring him to "Ashee's house" for a sleep over! You know you can call me anytime!

Amanda Brown said...

I'm so glad you've got all that support and aren't afraid to use it! And hopefully all your kiddos are feeling better ASAP!

Miller Moments said...

Please add me to the list of people to call, even though I have 2 of my own I am always willing to help take at least one. Thank goodness for family and hope everyone is on the mend.