Thursday, May 13, 2010

Birth Story!

This is the part I always like to hear about when someones had a baby. Listening to the story of how these little ones come into the world is quite fascinating. If you don't care for this part, scroll down to the bottom to see new pictures!

Sunday (Mother's Day) went as per usual. I laid down for a nap around 3pm and Del woke me up around 4:30pm to ask if we were heading to my Mom and Dad's for our usual Sunday night supper. I said yes and we got ready to go.

I noticed when I got up that I had a really sore back. But then again, my back has been aching for the past few months and thought not a lot of it. When I got to my mom's I laid on the couch as my back was really sore. My sister and her family arrived and I complained to my sister (who is a massage therapist and a doula) that my back was very sore. Throughout supper I was pretty restless. I kept getting up to stretch my back, was finding it hard to eat, etc. After supper I got into the bathtub to try and relax my back muscles.

My sister convinced me around 7pm to go home, get my hospital bag and meet her at the hospital around 8:30pm. I only had a sore lower back. No cramping, no waves of pain. Anyway, I figured I'd rather know that I'm not in labour than wonder so I agreed to go.

We got up to labour and delivery to be checked out at about 8:30pm. I was chatty, restless, walked the whole way up to the floor, etc. I got hooked up to the monitors and sure enough, one of the monitors was showing that I was actually contracting! That was the first time I was convinced I was in labour. They brought in the doctor to check to see if I was dilated. While she was getting ready, we were chatting about epidurals and twin births and operating rooms and neo-natal nurses, etc. She then checked me and told me I was fully dilated!

The longest part of the entire evening was from about 9-9:30 they spent time setting up the operating room (they like to deliver multiples there, just in case of problems). I stood (yes stood) and waited while they got set up. Del ran out to the van to get our bags and my pillow and my sister gowned up and came in with me.

I started pushing once everything was set up. I had to watch the monitor to see the contraction to know when to push! It was weird. They ended up breaking Avery's water and she came out at 10:15pm nice and quickly. The neo-natal nurses checked her out. In the mean time they broke the water for Morgan and she came out just as quickly at 10:25pm. They took Morgan right away as she had inhaled some amniotic fluid and also missed out on the nice "squeeze" to get rid of the junk. Avery also went out to NICU (neo-natal intensive care unit). That's where they've been ever since.

Apparently I was designed to have very easy births. I guess that's the nice part about my very terrible pregnancy's! A good reward at the end.

Now on to the pictures!

- my sister rubbing my sore back. The nurse on the right is the same nurse I had for Reid!


-photographer Daddy taking an "after" picture of me and my sister


- this was Avery this afternoon. Like the cool pink beanie! She has a feeding tube but that's great because it gets rid of the IV. Also notice the butterfly picture Reid made for her (thank you Ashley). There's also a picture of Reid there.


- this is Morgan today. Also a feeding tube and she's in an isolette. I love the pouty face! Reid also made her a butterfly! It says "I love you Morgan Elizabeth". Reid put the stickers on.

5 comments:

Jen Wilson said...

Totally awesome birth story!! So glad you had such a great delivery with them and that they're doing so well!

Jen said...

Wow! Totally amazing births. Good thing your sis told you to go in!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story! Reid was so exiced to make something for his girls, he even knows who Baby A is and Baby B. It just teared me up to see his craft next the them, he would be so proud! We sang the girls Happy Birthday today, he loves talking about them any chance he gets!

Anonymous said...

You are blessed!
The butterflies are so cute, as well as having a pic of Reid there. Those little girls are so going to love their big brother!
Adele

Laura said...

Lovely...