I've mentioned that a few times before. Pregnancy doesn't flatter me. I can barely crawl through. I feel a bit jealous when I watch pregnant mama's run around in their last trimester going to movies, out for lunch, shopping. I am in bed. (almost) All the time.
Last week my health hit bottom. So I was put on an IV anti-biotic. Easy to do (said my doctor). Since my doctor is in another city, they had to do everything here from his orders. Apparently in order to get the IV started I had to go to the ER at one of our hospitals and get my line put in and be given my first dose. So I left Reid with my mom and ventured to the ER in the afternoon, hoping to avoid a big crowd because it was the afternoon. Thankfully when I got there, there wasn't a big crowd. Not so thankfully, the line didn't move. For hours.
FIVE agonizing hours later (no supper, very uncomfortable chairs, etc.) and my dear parents came looking for me just as I was finishing up. They drove me home. As we walked in the door, Reid was projectile vomiting. Del was busy cleaning up and looking quite miserable. I didn't say much to him about my day and had a quick bite to eat and then tried to head to bed. I couldn't sleep because I was worried about Reid and I was very uncomfortable. At midnight, Reid finally fell asleep and woke up to throw up about every 30 minutes. He was in the spare bed with Del. At 12:30am Del started projectile vomiting! He continued until 3am. I was up with Reid while he took care of himself.
Around 3:30am we all fell asleep. My alarm went off at 5:30am because I had to go back to the ER for my second dose of anti-biotics. This trip (though early) was better and only took 45 minutes.
As the day went on my line was hurting so bad. I was in tears! I was also very tired but Del and Reid were up so it wasn't easy for me to get much rest. At 12:30pm I had to go to home care to be taught how to administer the IV myself. Don't be fooled by the word "home care". They don't come to your home. 90 minutes later and I was educated on how to do this myself. I was such a mess while I was there that I was crying to the nurse about how sore my line was. She looked at it and gasped as it was already red and swollen. She instantly removed it and started another (much more comfortable) one.
So this is how I'll look for the next 7-14 days (to be decided):
The good news is I am feeling a bit better. My mom has Reid today as Del is working the weekend. My sister is taking him tomorrow. Del's mom is coming to help out next week. I am very thankful for the help as I really can't do much of anything.
Del is feeling much better. Reid is still on the mend. He won't eat anything and often stops playing and lays down on the floor. Poor guy. He was loving sitting on this blanket yesterday:
We have about 7 weeks to go (at most) until the babies arrival. I pray that I will feel better in order to finish this last leg of the pregnancy marathon. Then the real work will begin!




5 comments:
I want to cry for you, you poor girl! Hang in there. We'll keep praying for you and your family!
ugh ... that sounds dreadful. All of it; from the IV to the puking to the exhaustion. Here's hoping you find some energy and are in good health these last 7 weeks!
What can I say but hang in there Laur! I am sure God picked you because he knew you were strong enough to get thru it and somehow you continue to do that.
You are an inspiration,thats the word that comes to my mind many times. Not only has God chosen you to have these beautiful babies but also to teach others not to take things for granted, not to complain over the simple things that can sometimes overwhelm us but to be thankful for everything.Even through all this "hell" your spirits are still so high and that is a gift you not only share with yourself but with all those who know you!
Praying for you, Del, Reid and the babes!
Adele
Post a Comment