Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Days Like These...

My brother-in-law likes to tease me about my parenting strategies where food is concerned. I have been fairly "strict" when it comes to Reid's food choices and my brother-in-law likes to call Reid "Organic Baby". He delights in teasing me about feeding Reid "junk" when I'm not looking. I haven't caught him...yet.

I will start giving Reid cookies, juice, dessert, chocolate and candy once he can ask for it. Until then, I can't understand why I would put it in his mouth. I do buy mostly organic vegetables and fruit (at least for him) and am very careful about reading labels for added sugar and salt.

One thing I may be a little "over the top" with is snacking. I don't like kids snacking. In MY OPINION children snacking can become a big problem. Many meal time fights can be cured if they haven't scarfed down six handfuls of Goldfish crackers in the afternoon. So for the most part, Reid doesn't snack (my sister did this with her two boys and they not only have survived but they are great eaters).

Lastly, I am into "real" food. Not food that comes from a package. So if there is snacking going on in my house it's fruit, veggies, muffins, etc. I really haven't given Reid much in the way of crackers, baby snacks, etc.

Except today.

Yesterday, Reid only napped for an hour. In that hour he woke up three times. He has developed a runny, crusty nose (teething?). He had a restless but okay night. Today he napped for thirty minutes. Period. That did not make me happy as I was counting on him to nap long so that I could get at least a few things accomplished on my long "to do" list. Also, when he's awake I can't do anything because he's either bringing me his shoes to go outside, going through the kitchen cupboards or winging a book at my head for me to read.

I REALLY needed to balance my checkbook (it had been since April 13th) so I went to the pantry, dug around and found these:

And Reid did this:


for a long time.

Thank you, Gerber.

2 comments:

Jen Wilson said...

Wow. You ARE hardcore mom! I completely agree with you. My kids snack WAY too much, but I'm (FINALLY) learning to cut down so that they WILL eat at meal time! And they eat SO WELL when they don't snack (DUH!)

Great post. And also? Those little Gerber snacks? A LIFE SAVER.

Anonymous said...

Yay, someone else that feels the same way about sugar and stuff. The sugar topic came up with the in laws a little while ago and I said I wanted to hold off on giving Elliot food with sugar so he didn't have such a sweet tooth like his mom (of course, I was saying this all while I was shoving a piece of cake in my mouth - very classy!).

Miriam