Saturday, November 13, 2010

Just Eat It

We started the girls on rice cereal.  Morgan thinks it's a great idea.  Avery wonders what's wrong with her bottle.  They have totally different reactions to it!

The girls have been very hard to feed right from the beginning. It's a preemie thing.  Morgan struggles with acid reflux (very common in preemies) and they both struggle with having enough stamina to finish an entire bottle.  At 6 months they are still only eating 5 oz per feed (every four hours).  Avery will have one (maybe two) feeds a day where she'll have 6-7oz.  Typical 6 month olds eat between 5-8 oz per feed.  And, except for rare occasions, they both take a LONG time to finish their bottle.

They really haven't shown too many signs to want to try solids but recently started waking at night to feed again so I thought I'd try it.  It's about as painful of a chore as bottle feeding and so I really look forward to the day when I tell them to STOP EATING and get away from the table.  Sigh.
Avery does not dig it.
Morgan would nibble away all afternoon.
My favorite realization after the first morning of cereal was when I noticed Reid eating a bowl of Fruit Loops and the girls were eating organic, brown rice cereal.  Reid used to eat like that.  Where did it go a-muck?!?  Made me giggle.

Breakfast around these parts.

(and for anyone concerned, Fruit Loops are a huge treat around these parts.  It is not a morning staple.)

Here's a video of the girls first feed of cereal.  I love Reid's commentary!

No comments: