Supper time around here is not fun...for the Mama.
Reid (though adorable) insists on being my helper in the kitchen. As soon as I walk in and begin to prepare supper he comes running around the corner, opens up our walk-in pantry, gets out "his" stool and pushes it up to the counter. He has this huge grin on his face as if to say, "What are we making tonight, Mom!".
I know other Mom's put on the TV at 5pm and let their children stare at it while they make supper in peace. I've heard the stories. My problem is that Reid has pretty much NO interest in TV. He'll watch the beginning credits of Elmo and then he'll watch about 3 minutes of "Happy Feet" and he likes having those shows on but he doesn't watch them. Nothing is more exciting to him than either playing with his Dad or "helping" me.
So I've been trying to include him in meal preparation the best I can (considering he's 22 months old). He stirs, he watches, he tells me if something looks "hot". Meanwhile I am able to work in about a foot sqare of room as I'm worried he'll fall of his stool and I have to keep him away from swiping the counter clean of all the items I'm working with.
My cousin gave me the idea to let him play in the sink. It was okay but I don't think mopping up 7 gallons of water off the kitchen floor was exactly the time saver I was hoping for. Oh, well. Reid had lots of fun!




4 comments:
Carter was the same but I would let him take out every single canned good in the cupboard - glad he didn't take off the wrappers. It wasn't til he was 2 1/2 + that he got interested in tv for longer than a minute.
He looks like he is having such a fun time!!!
I would put bubbles (suds from the sink) into a large plastic container and sit them at the table. The bubbles would be all over the table and them - but it was just the bubbles. The table was always clean!
Adele
welll....guess that will be the last time you take any ideas from that silly cousin heay!! LOL. The grin on his face is priceless...LOVE IT. I didn't realize your done work in March....smart lady :)
Just wait, now I struggle to get him to want to play instead of watching TV.
Post a Comment