I'm not crafty. Never have been. Yes, I'm an elementary school teacher, yes, I teach children under the age of 9 and yes, I hate crafting.
It's the mess, really. All the glue. Oh the glue! Have you ever tried to take the glued-on lids off of 25+ glue bottles while the children are impatiently waiting? Then of course there are the 5 kids who didn't have their lid glued on so they are at your ankles saying, "I'm finished teacher, now what do I do?" Crafting, bletch!
I'm also anti-clutter and have no imagination. Bad combination. I always have parents asking me if they can save baby food jars, bread tags, film canisters and egg cartons. I always look at them blankly and then muster out a "no thanks, I have enough". Firstly, where do you keep all of that 'junk' and secondly, what do you do with it?
Last year was pretty much my favourite teaching year. Why? Because I had all of my Arts Education covered by the Itinerant teacher. Oh, Heaven! I would waltz out of the room as soon as I heard her squeaky cart coming down the hall. Only to return to sticky fingers, spilled glitter and a rather frazzled Itinerant teacher. Glorious!
That is also another thing that is potentially great about my potential teaching position when I return to work. No crafting. I still haven't met with my principal, so I still have to keep it quiet, however I'm glad to think about no gold macaroni in my future!
I have had a secret obsession during my maternity leave though (besides the odd can of Coke Classic and sometimes an afternoon nap when the sun is coming through the window). One that would make the snickers in the hallway at school unbearable if my co-workers found out. I have rather enjoyed digital scrap booking. Lately I've been pumping out photo-Christmas cards. I did mine, my sister did one, then I did them for two friends. It's pretty fun. I'm currently working on a book of Reid's first year. If you don't know what I mean, click here. It's a perfect fit for me. No glue, no scissors and no clutter!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
Online scrapbooking is soooo much better! As soon as I finish our honeymoon/Mexico book, I'm getting rid of all my paper and silly scissors!
Post a Comment