Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thank You!

This is the first time in 12 years that I'm not busy preparing to welcome 25+ students into my classroom.

It is delicious.

There. I said it. It's not that I don't love my job, or love children, or love that my job = loving children. It's just that I'm thrilled that I get a break. The first weeks of school are the HARDEST. After 12 years of teaching, it never seems to get any easier. You are learning 25+ personalities, names, preferences, skills, abilities, attitudes all within a quick span of time. You are also handing in year plans (yes, you tell me what you're planning on doing every week on your job for the next 10 months), attending numerous staff meetings, planning welcome back/meet the teacher days, setting up your classroom, meeting new staff, etc. Usually this all gets done in +29 degree heat, with no air conditioning :)

So. Cheers to you my teacher friends. I'll bring you muffins soon. In the mean time, I'll enjoy changing the odd poopy pant or two, playing "peek-a-boo" and getting giggles from the one who has granted me this leave. Thank you Turk!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Enjoy my dear. I don't know who's more "thrilled" to be back, students or teachers. Soon the routine will be down pat and things will flow.
It's so true... does any one else have to account for and predict every hour of their next 10 months. Always a ridiculous, make work task!

Jen Wilson said...

Aw! I'm glad you're enjoying your break!! Kaylie LOVED her first day of school!