Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Workin' It :(

I finally met with my principal and others to finalize my return to work. I was on the brink of tears during parts of the meeting but quite happy during other parts.

Sigh...

I'm heading back to work on March 2nd. I will be working mornings until around noon. I'm very excited to be working part time. I've actually never worked anywhere part time (except for working 30 hours a week while I went to University full time...does that count?). I'm thankful that I get to have a consistent schedule, and have time with my boy in the afternoon. I'm also thankful that I'll usually be able to feed him lunch.

But...

This year just went by so fast. He's getting out of the baby stages at lightening speed. I've been busy packing away all things baby, and pulling out all things toddler. It's just a new chapter that I'm not quite ready to write.

During the meeting, the people involved were saying things like, "Wednesday's we have our early morning meeting....then Thursdays we like to have a breakfast meeting....How would you feel about staying for lunch and helping feed a student...what about coming back 80% time in the fall...." Those were the moments I was going to cry. I was just thinking, "Don't you guys get it? I'm a mom. I just want to get out a little, do what I enjoy (teaching), make a little extra money to put food on the table, and get home to my boy. Don't you realize how delicious he is? I don't want to miss anything".

This mom thing gets harder by the minute.

2 comments:

Jen Wilson said...

Aw, I'm sorry Laurie! It's always frustrating when employers don't understand the mom bit. I'm glad that you only have to go back part time in the beginning ;)

Jill said...

You're making me sad and I'm not even on mat leave yet!